Simplifying Accounting’s Digital Transformation
Digital disruption is occurring and no more than in Accounting. Firstly, there is the competitive expansion of self-accounting software such as MYOB, Intuit QuickBooks, Xero, Reckon One and Saasu. Secondly, many of these products are moving into the Cloud and providing Software as a Service. Thirdly, clients requiring your services expect that you can integrate with these software systems that now live in the Cloud. All this at a time when the government has legislated the requirement to provide even greater protection of security for the client data you hold. With this advancing IT technology it can become far too easy for key staff to be tied to infrastructure, managing and resolving IT issues instead of working billable hours with clients.
So where does this leave your accounting firm; with the need to offer customers a level of knowledge, service and visibility that goes beyond “as a Service”. Accounting firms can no longer be weighed down by aging technology and processes. They need to provide their services in a more mobile way, when and wherever the customer requires, whilst coupled with the highest levels of security.
A Defined Process for Progress
At the Pivotal Group, we help our customers to improve workflow, document management and the IT infrastructure to support it.
Our first aim is to understand the key objective within your business and the direction your industry is heading.
Secondly we work to understand the key processes within your business and what best practice would look like. This may bear little relationship to how you are currently doing things. The objective is to identify the gap between current and the required future state to achieve your business objectives.
Thirdly our Technology Audit determines the current state of the IT infrastructure and its ability to support both the current and future state.
We recently worked with a Hunter region accounting firm who was needing to change their approach in order to stay competitive but to also become a leader in their field. Whilst they had a clear vision of what technology could do to develop the business they needed an IT provider who would share that vision and meet a series of key requirements which were:
- to have 100% mobility with all job tasks being achievable both on and off site
- to have the highest level of security and reporting from end to end and tools to assist in detecting if a notifiable data breach occurs
- to provide all this through MYOB AccountRight software and any applicable MYOB apps
- to have 100% backup of data to ensure no lost hours in reconstructing lost data (non-billable hours) if an issue did occurred
- to maximise staff billable hours by reducing IT issues and providing easily accessible IT Help desk support
- to find a proactive supplier that not only operates the IT system efficiently and reliably but who is also providing input on future IT technology trends and the opportunities they may provide
- to control costs as they were currently weighed down by aging technology that could require a large capital outlay to achieve the objectives
A Pivotal Group Network Discovery Audit resulted in a Technology Report and Plan that set a course of action, through Partnership. The audit developed a report of the firm’s current state and recommendations to move towards the desired future state. The key findings were that:
- key system servers were at capacity and of an age that resulted in poor network performance and a probability of system failure
- the current operating systems would not cope with the 100% Cloud based requirement
As a result of these key issues a new IT Technology Plan was developed with key actions to:
- move to Microsoft 365 to provide better interaction between staff when on-site with clients
- migrate all current accounting systems to Cloud versions
- implement Sophos as a Service for End Point security protection of data
- upgrade current dated IT infrastructure to cope with increased performance requirements and eliminate system failure points
- implement through ‘Technology as a Service’ using Pivotal Group’s Managed Service Plan. This would protect capital for the firm’s planned expansion and provide a more managed monthly cash flow with the flexibility to expand the system in the future
The Pivotal Group
The Pivotal Group has over 40 years experience in servicing the technology needs of businesses in the Newcastle, Central Coast, Hunter, New England and Port Macquarie regions of NSW. Our expertise covers Managed Print Services, Business Process Design, IT Technology supply and support, Collaborative Conferencing and Digital POS Systems.